Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Today was a good day : )

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 I was lucky enough to get a school about 15 minutes from home, which was nice. The teacher ACTUALLY attached a schedule and list of students to me thru the sub service website so I knew I would be with a group in a special education setting. I was in a classroom where 3, 4, 5th graders came in for services throughout the day. There were two students that stayed all day, a girl with Down's Syndrome and a boy who's disability was not known to me. The students all had ipads that they could uses when their paper work was finished. It was a lot of repetition and reading and partner reading which was nice. The kids all knew their routines so well. The aid was helpful. He was assigned to the 10 year old with Down's Syndrome. She was very funny. She wanted to know if I was married, had brothers, what their names were, if I had sisters, what were my parent's names. Later in the day she became more agitated about her cat being gone but in the morning she mentioned only that she had a cat. More importantly, she just wanted to go home. When the aid tried to work on sight words with her, she threw the cards and would let out these random screams or screeches. She was determined to get her way and go home. She was done. The aid was very patient waiting for her to pick up the cards (which never happened). But she was funny. She liked to purposely copy what you were doing even if it was rubbing your eyes or ears. She got a kick out of that. I think she may have cursed but wasn't quite sure...if it wasn't, it was awfully close! At the end of the say, I walked the boy who was in third grade, down to the office where everyone knew his name and said hi and he walked out to his bus with a bus aid. If only every day could be like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment