Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 After Monday, I decided to confirm my sub job for Tuesday and I did. It just so happens that this particular school was one block away from where my grandparents used to live and my mom grew up in this neighborhood. It now has a lot of gang activity. The house is still there but it isn't safe. I showed up and found out I was teaching 3rd grade. The school was taken over a few years ago because of doing poorly on state tests. Now it is run like a basic training camp (I know this because I am ex-military). One thing that doesn't sit well with me is that these particular schools are only in predominantly African American neighborhoods. I would think that if this style of school were in white neighborhoods, there would be a huge backlash. I understand that many kids are not being disciplined and so "tough-love" is the step but it seems unnatural for kids to be completely silent all day long without getting into some trouble. When I first went into the office to sign in, not one office person spoke to me. I tried to get their attention but I was ignored so I went to the teacher in-boxes to get the breakfast sheet. I waited and waited before finally a secretary apologized and told me my room and grade. They didn't know if there were lessons in the room. So I went up, had to pee and then race down to the 1st floor from the third to pick up the student. Keep in mind I have not been in the room. When we get to the room, it is locked! Students are standing silent, patiently, to get into the room holding all their belongings. (The door was locked all day so I had to remember to put a stop in the door to get back in.) The day wasn't entirely bad. I get self-conscious when I feel teachers see me dealing with out of control students and worry about what they are thinking. At times, as with this one, I feel the need to let them know that I have taught in schools like theirs before and I am familiar. But then I have to keep in mind I AM A SUB! I'm an over-achiever. But two other teachers told me that this group of 3rd graders were difficult. It made me feel better to know that they acted the same with their regular teacher! Maybe she needed a mental health day : ).

No comments:

Post a Comment